Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli Lodge #2183
P.O. Box 387 - Wilmington, Massachusetts - 01887
On March 12, 1967, the Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli Lodge #2183 of Wilmington, Massachusetts, was founded. This was the result of a series of house meetings culminated by a meeting at the Wilmington Skating Club. This meeting was attended by Joseph Gorrassi, former Supreme and Grand Venerable and his sister, Sophie Gorrassi, Grand Recording Secretary, as well as Mary Benullo, Grand Deputy.
At this meeting a slate of officers was formulated and after a number of names submitted, the name Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli (Pope John XXIII) was determined at the suggestion of sister Anna Visconti.
The designated founders of the lodge were Laura Caira, Frances Gray, and George Murray. At this time, dues were established and elections held with the following officers:
- Venerable Charles Ingalls
- Assistant Venerable Donald Ugolini
- Ex-Venerable George Murray
- Orator Vincent "Jimmy" Capozzi
- Recording Secretary Laura Caira
- Financial Secretary Frances Gray
- Treasurer Anthony Fortunata
- Trustees Gus Cuoco
- Marguerite "Rita" Ingalls
- Alfred Powers
- Nicholas Casaletto
- Cynthia Esposito
- Mistresses of Ceremonies Sylvia Fantasia and Anna Visconti
- Sentinel William Wolley
We had 94 members at the formation of our lodge, in which the installation and institution ceremonies were conducted by Grand Venerable John Guarino and Grand Orator Aldo Caira.
Our Lodge home on Ballardvale Street was realized about ten years later after a series of setbacks and disappointments: our first venture was property on Lowell Street; then a valiant try to purchase a building opposite Silver Lake; and then a parcel of land plus a building on Salem Street --- all to no avail. We kept our beautiful home on Ballardvale Street for twenty years, until it was determined that it should be sold.
Our lodge has been blessed with committed and dedicated leadership since its inception:
- Charles Ingalls (67-68)
- Don Ugolini (68-69)
- Al Powers (69-71)
- Eileen Wolley (71)
- Rico Catalano (71-73)
- Fred Miller (73-75)
- Chris S. DiCecca (75-77)
- Fred Miller (77-79)
- Bob Dicey (79-81)
- Fortune Carlino (81-83)
- Chris A. DiCecca (83-85)
- Peg Dicey (85-86)
- Jerry Pupa (86-88)
- Kevin Caira (88-92)
- Charles DeStefano (92-96)
- Kevin Caira (96-98)
- Michele Caira Nortonen (98-02)
- Charles DeStefano (02-03)
- Jerry Pupa (03-04)
- Aldo Caira Jr. (04-06)
- Charles DeStefano (06-10)
- Aldo Caira Jr. (10-present)
Meetings are held on the third Monday of the month at Villanova Hall, located next to St. Thomas Church on 126 Middlesex Avenue in Wilmington. Meetings begin promptly at 7:30 p.m. and generally last an hour.
The Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli Lodge has been lauded by the Wilmington Board of Selectmen and the School Committee for its community service, involvement, and generosity. Noteworthy accomplishments include:
- Several scholarships awarded annually to children of Wilmington Lodge members.
- Significant annual donations to pet charities of OSIA, MA Grand Lodge: Alzheimers, Casa Monte Cassino, Madonna Queen Shrine, Commission for Social Justice, Cooley's Anemia.
- $30,000 - $40,000 donated annually to the Town of Wilmington for the past several years, resulting in the following purchases for the town: DARE police car, senior citizen van, electronic scoreboard for Wilmington High School, two thermal imaging devices for Wilmington Fire Department, stadium jackets for Wilmington High School Marching Band, batting cages for Wilmington High School baseball and softball teams, playgrounds for the North Intermediate School and Woburn Street School.
Our lodge is very supportive of Grand Lodge events and has in the past subsidized by 50% a member's participation in most Grand Lodge functions.
We are very proud that several of our members have attained leadership positions at the State and/or National levels.
- Aldo A. Caira: Grand Trustee, Grand Orator, Grand Venerable, National 2nd Vice President, National 1st Vice President, National President.
- Michael Caira: Grand Trustee, Chairman National Delegates, National Executive Director.
- Aldo Caira Jr.: President Junior Division.
- Kevin A. Caira: Chairman Membership Commission, Chairman State Deputies, State Trustee, State Treasurer, State 2nd Vice President, State 1st Vice President, State President, National 2nd Vice President.
- Charles DeStefano: State Trustee, President Junior Division.
- Michele Caira Nortonen: State Trustee, State 2nd Vice President.
- Angela Caira: President Junior Division.
- John DiFava: Chairman Commission for Social Justice.
- Patricia Provenzano: Chairman Scholarship Commission.
- Ted Tomasone: Chairman Commission for Social Justice.
Monthly meetings are held at the Tewksbury-Wilmington Elks Lodge - 777 South Street - Tewksbury, the third Monday of every month at 7:30 p.m. A social hour, including a light dinner and dessert, is enjoyed by members an hour before the meeting begins.
Regular monthly socials are held to benefit our charitable work and can be found on the calendar section of our website. New members are always welcomed and need not be of Italian heritage. Contact us at 978-657-8572 or email us at email@example.com.