Norwood Italian Lodge # 1235
Prior to 1933, the Norwood Lodge was composed of men and women.
On November 12, 1933, founded by Jesse Paul, Gorizia Howard and Mary Poce, the women became a seperate group, taking the name of Eleanora Duse Lodge, which later changed to the Norwood Ladies Lodge # 1690. The sponsoring lodge for this occasion was the Anita Garibaldi Lodge of Brockton, Ma.
We are under the the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, Order Sons of Italy in America.
In 1991, the Norwood Italian Men's Lodge led by President Frank Bartucca purchased their new home naming it "Casa Bella." The building was sold in 1998.
The men and women merged in the year 2000. The new lodge is the current Norwood Italian Lodge # 1235.
Our meeting place is the Knights of Columbus Hall, Nichols St. in Norwood, on the first Tuesday of every month.
We have a membership of 180 and growing. The Lodge contributes to many worthy causes such as Alzheimers, Cooley's Anemia, Autisim, community services, visiting nursing homes, donating to the food pantry and recently funded the start of Italian classes at the Norwood Senior High School.
Members affiliated with the Grand Lodge are: Denise Furnari,past Chairman of the Charity Commission, past Financial Secretary, and current State Trustee; Delia Bartucca, Historical Chairman, past Grand Trustee and National Delegate; Catherine Stumpo, deputy to the Stoughton Lodge; Joan Ciannavei, deputy to the Franklin Lodge; Frank Bilotta, Chuck Ciolfi, Palma Ciolfi, Andrew Ciarletta, Ellie Ferzocco, and Fran Harwood, all Historical Commissioners.
Mary Jane Piro
Mary Jane Piro