Burlington Lodge # 2223
I write to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of my lodge this past June. It is equally important that I express my gratitude to my lodge for the support in establishing a monthly Culture Series, which has lead to my appointment as Italian Culture Chairman for the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts.
One might say that we are quite common as a lodge, but with uncommon accomplishments. As Italian Culture Chairman, I continue to visit many filial lodges to cultivate our precious heritage and have accordingly witnessed the joys, the hopes, and the difficulties common to all. In Burlington we have worked hard to gain recognition, grow our membership, and raise revenue with which to support our own special charities, the Culture Series, and maintain a social agenda.
Specifically, we were chartered forty years ago on June 13, 1970.
- We have conducted Italian language classes since 1992 at three levels.
- Our Culture Series has entertained monthly professional speakers from academia, business, and the general community for the past six years.
- At one lodge meeting in 1975 we initiated a scholarship fund at our local high school, which has thrived for the past thirty-five years!
- Over the past seven years we have developed an accomplished monthly newsletter for every member.
- Our leadership for the past eight years has been an Irish-American president with an "Italian heart".
Perhaps our strength lies in our perseverance, but our pride demonstrates our camaraderie as well as our anticipated successes. Success is given to those who strive and cherish accomplishment. I am proud and happy to have been part of our successes.
Submitted by Patrick Moreno
Italian Culture Chairman
Vice President, Burlington Lodge # 2223